Monday, September 21, 2009

Artist on Artist Short Interview

Good Day People! For some of you it is Monday and for others it’s just Monday. Either way you go in and approach it as a new day with unlimited possibilities.

Today I want to introduce you to an associate and talented artist Siona Marques via Artist on Artist - part I, the first installment in a series of brief two way artist on artist interviews. Siona is a very expressive and passionate artist that primarily works in oils on canvas.








Cane: When did you KNOW you were going to be an artist?
Siona: After taking an art class. I remember the smell of the oil paints and they still ‘do’ something to me. There was a whole lot of drama in that class, so I had to check out early...But I learned a few things before I did, such as learning to stretch canvas. I have never bought a pre‐made canvas, I stretch all my own. And I think this adds to the nuance of the artwork, the fact that it is totally and completely handmade.

Cane: Do you feel that art has a social relevance other then aesthetics? And if so what?
Siona: For sure. I think art has the power to move and to change, which is why I like graffiti art. It expresses a lot more than just beauty, or at least some of it. Those artists have no other way to express things such as grief, the death of a loved one, etc. I’ve seen more than one graffiti memorial and they can be very deep. The Harlem Renaissance is another example, a period when disenfranchised folks began to receive creative recognition for expressing their pain in a form that was palatable and empathetic.

Soulmate Part I, 24x24, oil on canvas by Siona Marie Marques




Soulmate Part II, 24x24, oil on canvas by Siona Marie Marques

To learn more about this artist and view more of her work, visit http://www.sionamarques.com/.









This is the first installment in a series of brief artist on artist interviews. In the future, some will be in audio format. Antonio "Cain" Smith is a versatile artist stationed in Miami. He works in a variety of mediums and also does web and graphic design work.............

Siona: What motivates you as an artist?
Cane: What motivates me as is artist is that, I love to create. Sounds, colors, dreams, shapes, textures, words, touch. I can be triggered by anything at any time. It's kind of weird but for an artist I guess it's not. My creativity is not turned on 24‐7 but experiencing anyone of those things at a moment can spark it.

Siona: If you could change the world, what would you do first?
Cane: I think educate people, not just "book learning"/school stuff but attempt to rid the world of ignorance. As the cliché goes, "the more you know, the further you go." I have found that our limits are not based on what we know but actually what we don't know.

Acrylic on Canvas (24x16) Art By Cane

To see more of My work, you know where to go….http://rca-media.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment