Thursday, August 6, 2009

2 Outta’ 3 Really Ain’t That Bad.... • Created 11/11/2008

"You can't base your life on other people's expectations."-Stevie Wonder

As a designer I have learned that, ones creativity is not as important as skill and during my school days...and still sometimes today, I have to struggled with that realization. Essentially, at my core, I am an artist but the artist and the business man are two separate entities working together with two separate motivations. Integration takes place by balancing and not attempting to make those separate entities one.

On the business side of things, I have realized that most people (clients) expect it all and we sometimes push ourselves to deliver beyond our means or ability to fulfill that expectation. Always, as business persons, service providers and accountable human beings, we should not only aim to please but also strive for excellence. The truth is we can't always achieve this to the complete satisfaction of those who's approval we seek.

With that said I have adopted the 2 out of 3 rule of service providers....It's more of a truth than a simple rule. I say rule in the sense that, when one steps to the table, they understand that this "rule" is in effect. The way the 2 out of 3 rule works is, most clients are looking for 3 things when they approach me with a job. Those 3 things are Good, Fast and Cheap design work.....Unfortunately, they will only get 2. If the work is Good and Fast, it won't be Cheap. If the work is Fast and Cheap, it won't be Good. And, if the work is Good and Cheap, it won't be Fast.
This is not because I say so it goes back to my lil blurb on expectations and being able to fulfill them. Let's face it, in life we cannot expect to have it all. Those that are happiest are those that chosen the options best suited for their needs and made the best of them.

I love what I do and it is in my best interest to do what I do well and satisfy my clientele if I want to continue to pursue my career and have longevity.
One should always set their expectations high and far, knowing and accepting that you might miss. But even if you miss your mark, you will be that much closer to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment